Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve 2010

Well it is 5:30 in the morning on New Year's Eve. I haven't gone to bed yet, but I felt like I should write down what I am feeling.

I just watched my 2 sons and my husband drive off for a long trip out west. Taylor is returning to BYU-Idaho for his second semester and Alex is going back to BYU after a year and a half back at home. I am filled with emotion as I think of the last 2 years. I love my boys so much. They are so special. I am proud of them and filled with hope for their futures. I hope that we have prepared them for what they have ahead. It has been a long road........one that I didn't think I could handle when Alex came home. We have all grown so much closer as a family. I am thankful that we had this time to learn more and love more.

I was left in the driveway with the Matts. Alex has one and Taylor has one. I am so thankful for the great guys who have filled our home with laughter and energy. We won't have any boys......at least for a while. We don't know what the future will hold, and it may not go the way we expect it to, but with Heavenly Father's help we will make it. I know he will guide us and show us the way.

There is something about a mother's love for her sons. It is not deeper, but different. I have been so blessed to have these wonderful boys call me mama. They laugh at me and give me a hard time, but I know they love me and that I am crazy about them.

Just before they left, I was filling a small ice chest with some drinks for them and ended up letting 6 fall and spew ALL over the kitchen. They boys watched it happen and you would not believe the laughter that ensued. Our home will be much more quiet now. I will miss their boisterous laughter and fun they bring with them. Alex is almost never in a bad mood and Taylor is almost always willing to help with anything that is going on. They are quite a pair.

Just now, I heard keys in the door and looked. It was Taylor...........don't do this to me...........he forgot his IPad. But, of course, recalling Alex's story when he was ready to come home from a friend's when he was little..........Taylor said, "Alex just needs to spend a little time with his family." I hope they got enough time in our family and can go out now and make their own way in this world. I love them so much!!

Mary Catherine turned 17 yesterday. She will be next to leave. I can't even imagine how hard that will be. What a wonderful girl she is!! Another year and a half. I can do this!!!

7 comments:

DonnaB said...

The letting them go is rough, but the grand children are a wonderful bonus! I saw your two oldest girls in Walmart a couple of weeks ago. They are so grown and beautiful, full of life. I admire your family so much.

Susan said...

It's a different kind of mothering when they leave home...but still wonderful, and oh so rewarding. ~

Lindsay and Mike said...

You have raised such a wonderful family! When I got your Christmas card the other day, I showed it to Mike & said, "How do you raise a family to have them all turn out so awesome like this?!?" You are such a great mama! And Zach is such a great dad! You guys are my heroes!

Lou Ellen said...

Not only can you do it, but you are doing it and as you said, getting stronger in the process. They come, they go, they come, they go, it's always sad but I think I'm crying less as the years go on, so...yeah for Southwest and Honda.

Lou Ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Be A Saint said...

Oh, my goodness. I am doing better and the boys have gotten settled in at school. I have my worries still but happy that things are moving along. Thank you all for the wonderfully kind words you had for our family. There are days when I will surely come back here to read over those nice words to give me another needed lift!! THANK YOU!!

MaryRuth said...

your post made me tear up... I don't want my son to leave home ever :)

Love your family... you've done a great job!