Thursday, September 22, 2011

Leggings

I just read an article about leggings on LDS Living website.  Are they appropriate?  Are they a viable option for too short skirts?  I wanted so badly to respond to these questions, but I couldn't figure it out, so you get to read my opinions!  Because we all know my opinion must be shared!

So, leggings.......I grew up in the 80's.  The era of the legging.  I don't have a particular problem with them in the shirt you wear is long and covers your whole bottom region, front and back.  I like them with skirts as long as the skirt is not too short.  I think they are perfect when the skirt is just a little too short to be comfortable.

That said, I have a really big problem with leggings when people wear them to church to make a short skirt modest.  In my mind people are really wearing pants when they do that.  They are not dressing appropriately because their skirt is not doing its job so you are depending on the leggings.....which are P-A-N-T-S!  We do not wear pants at church....nor do we wear pants in the temple, which I have seen before.  In my oh so humble opinion, if you are depending on leggings to make a short skirt appropriate then do that outside of places where you are supposed to wear skirts.

OK, I know you all wanted to know so badly.........I had to get it off my chest.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Haha, I am glad I am not the only one! I have seen adults and teens alike wearing leggings to church to cover up for a dress or skirt that is too short and I do not think it is appropriate! Outside as a regular outfit, sure. Not a "Sunday best" in my opinion at all! :)

Lisa said...

I agree with you too!

MaryRuth said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I hate when girls where leggings to church. It just doesnt look appropriate. Even though some look more like stockings or pantyhose than pants.

Lindsay and Mike said...

AGreed.

Melinda said...

When Tristan was preparing for EFY, the clothing list was very specific. I thought the statement on leggings was dead on. "Leggings do not extend the length of a skirt." If a skirt is too short to be worn confortably and to sit in modestly, then it is simply too short. Leggings do not make it more modest.

piccolacasadellavisitazione said...

Please visit our blog at http://houseofvisitation.blogspot.com/2011/12/nativity-of-our-lord-2011.html and HAVE A wonderful CHRISTMAS.