Wednesday, September 2, 2009

When laziness is productive

I KNOW it has been too long since I blogged. I will catch up soon......probably not until AFTER I retire!! September 25.......I will have some kind of retirement party. Won't that be fun.

So, I was laying on the bed tonight with Lily and she had a book about the ABC's. She began singing them and when she got to the "L, M, N, O, P" she said, "I love that part......ellmmmnop, ellmmmnnop!!" It was just the cutest thing.

Let me brag on her a little.....I have QUIT reading at night.....except the scriptures......to my little kids. I feel a little guilty because I read much, much longer to the big kids, but I discovered something this summer. What is that you ask? Well, in my laziness, I let the little ladies sleep upstairs with Sarah Beth. She has a reading time each night and naturally told the little ladies that they had to read, too. So, Lily did. Now just let me backtrack a little. ALL of my kids were great readers at the same age. And it is not like it is that early or anything, but all my other kids wanted ME to read. They didn't want to read to themselves at all, because they knew I would read at night and it just wasn't that important to do it themselves. So, when school started, I told Lily that I was not going to read anymore. She didn't understand, but she is enough younger than the others that she didn't know how long I read to them. Well, wouldn't you know, she is reading like a mad person!!! Everything!! And after listening to 4th graders all day, I have to say, her reading fluency is MUCH better than most of theirs. She pauses at commas and periods. Her voice goes up and down with the story line. She understands what she is reading. She is such a wonderful reader........and she enjoys it!

Conclusion...............

I should have been lazier a long time ago!!!!

7 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Note taken... :)

Susan said...

I might have told you this (or a version of) some years ago...in any case, be lazy and look forward to 3 days off. :)

Carolina girl said...

A retirement party does sound like fun. I can make your retirement cake. :)

Be A Saint said...

ooooh, Lynetta, that does sound wonderful. Let's plan it.

Susan said...

:) lunch & a pedi!

Lou Ellen said...

There are many great things in life and one of them is children learning to read and read well - a THRILL. Way To Go Miss First Grader.

Melinda said...

When Tristan was learning the alphabet, he would say elmo-p. It was so cute!