Thursday, March 26, 2009

Aunts and Uncles

My brother, John, and his wife, Kristy, and their baby, Julia, are in Park City for John to attend some continuing education workshops....and to play. They went to Provo on Tuesday to visit BYU and Alex. Today, they invited him to come to Park City and ski with John. Alex had a great time. I am so grateful that they did that for Alex and that they got to spend some really great time together. And see that really cute baby that Kristy is holding. Can't wait to hold her at Easter!!

It got me thinking how grateful I am for all the aunts and uncles that my kids have. They all add something great to our lives, either by example or by action.
1. Aunt Ang--Alex started calling her this when he was little. Funny, because she doesn't really go by Ang at all, but that is what we call her. She is a lawyer and stay-at-home mom to my 4 nieces and nephews. Angela is extremely well read. She loves politics and knows something about just about everything. She is very organized and my kids love to go stay there in the summer and best of all they are moving to Natchitoches this summer and will be so close we can go for the day! Can't wait!

Of course, there is her husband, Ted. He is a dentist and the reason they are moving to Natchitoches. Ted is always on the go. He loves to play, loves bad weather, and doesn't mind watching a load of kids. He is a committed man and just good.
2. Uncle John--John is a doctor and just moved back to south Louisiana. He is such a great example to my kids about staying in school and working hard. He also challenges the kids to think. John also likes to play and entertain. I have to say, as much as I think Angela knows about most things, John knows more. He researches absolutely everything. To me he knows something about all things.
Aunt Kristy is also a doctor but has retired to stay home at take care of baby Julia. I am so proud of her decision to do that and am glad that my kids can see her make such an important decision. Kristy has always been sweet to do cute things with the kids and be a great aunt to them.
3. Aunt Tara--Tara works at the LSU library as an archivist and has a Master's Degree. She has always done sweet, thoughtful things for the kids. Recently she crocheted Lily and Emma little blankets for their babies. She sent Alex homemade cookies at BYU. She is a great cook and is always thoughtful of everyone. Such a good example to our kids.
Harry is a professor at Southeastern University. Although we should have known, because he is a professor, Harry has his doctorate in history and has even taught at West Point. He is such a humble quiet spoken guy that we didn't even realize this until Zack googled him one night. He is a great professor, too. He often takes his students on "field trips", even in Europe. He and Tara love to travel, making several trips to Ireland.

4. Aunt Stephanie-Stephanie has a degree in Education from LSU and had a successful career before she quit to stay home with Rebecca and Erica 17 years ago. She is extremely well organized and a great mom. She is also very thoughtful of our kids and has gone out of her way to know each one of them personally. She is such a great example of how to run a home. I am grateful that my kids have had her in their lives.
Uncle Rick-Rick is a partner in an Architecture firm in Dallas. He has been very successful in his career and is a GREAT dad. He is very involved with his daughters. He is funny and fun. Rick is just an all around nice guy. He is always interested in what is going on with the kids...spending time talking to them and playing with them. I am grateful that he is their uncle.
5. Aunt Jill-Jill has worked with Zack for many years...putting up with him!! She is currently back in school working on her degree. I am so proud of her and am grateful for my kids to see that it is never too late to do that. She is very dedicated to her work and makes straight A's. She worked hard for years raising her 2 boys. She is a great housekeeper. I admire that.
Kevin and Jill have been married for several years now. Kevin works shift work at one of the plants. He is an avid Dallas Cowboy fan...giving Taylor lots of opportunity to trash talk! He is a father to two teenage s and has stayed very involved with them. He and Jill like to go to Toledo Bend on the weekends and fish and play.
These are Jill's supercute grandkids who made Zack and me Great Aunt and Uncle!!!

As I sat here to write about our aunts and uncles I got overwhelmed by the diversity that we have in our family. They are all great people who add a different dimension to our family. I love that they all have sacrificed in many different ways for their families. They are a great example of commitment and love for family. I hope that my kids will follow their examples and know that they always have them to turn to. Thanks for all you do!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Andrea, your children are so fortunate to have such awesome aunts & uncles. My kids have Aunt Lou Ellen & Uncle Charles...and well, I'll just stop there.

MaryRuth said...

I'm sad to hear Angela is moving back to Louisiana... does that mean no more Canton trips in our future?