Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The World Travelors

It always occurs to me when we pull up to our house from a long trip that we can be all over the world and we still kind of hone in on the one place in the world that we really belong.....HOME. We got home last night from being gone for 10 days to England. It was a wonderful experience. I feel like I learned so much about history, art, and enjoying time with my Alex. We had a great time and laughed and laughed. Let me just say that Alex is converted. He loves ALL things English. It was so fun to watch him see things, people watch, and run through the streets of London. Here are a few pictures from our trip.

This is a platform at a train stop. We rode the train ALOT, until we figured out how to navigate the buses which were easier for GranJan to use. We couldn't help but think of Harry Potter and Platform 9 and 3/4. All the train and tube stops are called platforms. I love it.

Of course, we saw the changing of the guard. It was not so majestic as I had envisioned. They don't march with exact precision as our soldiers do. I kept thinking that this really pales in comparison to the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington. But, it really was fun. They have a band that plays while they march into place. The guide told us that they do not play patriotic music during the change. They sometimes play rock songs or just silly songs. Interesting tidbit.

This is Buckingham Palace, where of course the Changing of the Guard ends up. It is beautiful. We were lucky enough to be there when the Queen opened the palace up to the public to view. We went in to the state rooms. Let me just say....unbelievable.

Then are the phone booths. I'm not sure why they still have them. We never saw anyone in one. But, they are definitely a national treasure. They are everywhere and I don't see how they could get rid of them, even thought they are almost entirely unnecessary. (don't know how to turn it the right way...sorry)

This is a "bobby". He was outside Clarence House, where Prince Charles and Camilla live. There were a couple of guards out there who were prancing up and down the sidewalk from their station. I guess some of the spectators got in the way of the guard's march and the bobby told these older ladies to move. Apparently they did not move fast enough for the bobby. He rode his horse over to where they were and pushed them over with his horse. He then yelled at them to listen when he tells them to move. It was the funniest event of our trip. He was very serious, to which our guide said that the bobbies take their jobs a little too seriously.

This was our walking tour guide. Alex was convinced that GranJan had a crush on him. He was very interesting and talked to us alot about kings and queens and building and how things were done in England in the past. Great stuff!

More Later...Too much to do now!!

3 comments:

MaryRuth said...

I LOVED THE PICTURES!!!! what a fun trip! can't wait to hear more about it!! Glad you're home safe and sound!

Julie Church said...

It is funny how I have some of the same pictures when my parents came to England to pick me up from my mission and we toured London for a week. I saw a red phone box book shelf in a store Saturday and I wanted it so very bad...good memories. I am glad you had a great time!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

This was great to look at...I can't wait for more. And yes, I agree with Alex....I have always thought your mother looked like Royality...maybe the guide did too.