Friday, February 8, 2008

Goodbye, Mitt......for now

So, I heard on the radio yesterday that Mitt was dropping out of the race. So sad, but I understood and felt really proud of him. His speech was great. I realize how much his success in the race makes me feel successful in a weird way as a fellow Mormon. I guess that is how the black community feels about Obama. I can really understand that feeling. I also feel the criticism of Mitt in a really personal way. Strange, but true.

So, after I heard the news, I made a few phone calls to inform others, and went to lunch with Susan and Gwen to hear the news of Taylor at the MTC. More on that later. Much later in the day, Lily heard on the radio news that Mitt dropped out and we were able to have a VERY mature discussion about it. She said, "he didn't get enough votes, Mommy?" Wow, how does she know all of that? She has learned so much about how things work as we have all been obsessed about the election for the past several months. My immediate response was intense pride and what all I had taught her and how I am raising a great little conservative and informed . Good job, me! Then I thought, oooh, does she know so much about the gospel, the scriptures, the prophet, etc. I realized that my priorities become important to my children, and while I know they do understand the gospel, to them it may not seem like a priority in my life. In other words, I spend ALOT more time reading and discussing politics at times like this than I do studying and reading and listening to scriptures or words of the prophet. So, what really IS my priority. Good check on myself. I need to make a few changes. Thanks, Lily for helping me see that.

Like I said Taylor Pogue entered the MTC on Wednesday. Wow, how did that happen? It seems like yesterday he and Alex were playing legos and jumping on our trampoline all the time. I'm so proud of all of these kids. Ivy has been married in the temple and sets a great example for all of our kids, too. And now Taylor is on a mission and another good example is set. Alex will soon follow to BYU and next year on a mission What great kids they are. They inspire.

Now off to make a family budget!! Yuck!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I could hardly believe it when Bobby told me that Mitt was out of the race. I voted early, so I guess I voted for him anyway. :)

Andrea said...

Hey I found you!! I was sad Mitt dropped out too. Now I am clueless for who to vote for. I am always haveing to do a check on priorities. Mine are all out of wack sometimes. Children have such sweet spirits. I wish we could all be more like them!!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I love your blog. Thanks for telling me about this. I have no clue what I am really having fun. I will have to try and figure out how to use this now. :)