Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Temple Trip and Elder Perry

Yesterday was a really cool day. A couple of weeks ago I asked Zack when we were going to go to the temple this month and he said..."I am going on Tuesday." Oh, Ok, well come to find out he had a Ward Missionary meeting in Houston that night and he and the Bishop had planned on going to the temple before the meeting. I just decided to tag along. It wasn't until later that I realized that Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve would be conducting the meeting! I was so excited that I would be able to hear him speak. Making the trip was Zack and me, Bishop Young, Allen Andrews, and Vicki Laughlin. It was an interesting group. So, first we made it to the temple and stayed there for about 1 1/2. I sure do love the temple. I love the beautiful language we hear in the temple and the special feelings I have when I am there. Vicki and I got a little mixed up on the time when a lady came and told us that there had been a mistake and our meeting with Elder Perry was at 5:00 and not 7:00. So we were rushing to leave when they came back in and said....oh, sorry, but the distribution store closes at 5:00. We rushed for nothing...but oh well. We got to eat at California Pizza Kitchen, too. Let me just say.....YUM!!

I saw Elder Perry about 17 years ago when we visited Castledale, Utah and attended a play there. Elder Perry was introduced and stood when they introduces all the veterans in the audience. He is a really tall man. While he is not one of my FAVORITE speakers at conference....I do like him and he was awesome tonight. When he and his wife walked into the meeting everyone stood out of respect and his wife came right to the pew in front of us where some sister missionaries sat and said she would sit with them. Elder Perry followed her to the pew and warned the sister to "watch her, she can get a little fiesty". Everyone around laughed. It was really funny and cute. She seemed really nice and proceeded to whisper to her neighbors ALOT through the meeting.
I am not a ward missionary, but the meeting was really interesting. Some highlights were:
*When discussing the research they have about others opinion of Mormons he said that many people believe we treat women as second class citizens. He said he couldn't understand that. He said that he would believe there is not a high priest in the church that wouldn't open the door for his wife, etc and show respect for her. Then he said that when Hillary Clinton visited church headquarters in Salt Lake someone tried to open the door for her and she slammed it and opened it herself. Wow, I don't want to be THAT kind of women. While I wouldn't do that, I might do somethings similar to that. I will try not to be like that!
*Very clear plan to make use of the ward council and get the most benefit from relationship between the missionaries to the ward missionary to the ward council to the bishop to a high councilor in charge of missionary work to the stake president to the area representative. It was very helpful to hear the plan laid out and testified that it works.
* Sister Perry correcting Elder Perry from her seat towards the back of the chapel. He kept saying "scure" and wasn't what he wanted to say so Sister Perry yells "obscure" several times until he was able to hear her and go on with the discussion!
I was very grateful to be able to attend the temple, visit with friends, and listen to an apostle of the Lord.

3 comments:

gwen said...

HOW AWESOME- and WHY have you not told me about this????

Susan said...

I love L. Tom Perry, I guess he's pretty old now but many years ago he came to conference here and was just a hoot at Sat. night session.

Wendy said...

Great opurtunity. I will let Bret read some of this, he just got called to be the Ward mission Leader here in Billings. He is supper excited about it. Have fun at the Rodeo. Billy will not be in it this year. but I still wish we could go....