Thursday, February 26, 2009


Book Club has been reading Persuasion by Jane Austen for the last few weeks. I have wanted to read Jane Austen for a very long time. I even checked out Emma once and gave it my best effort. But, I am going to admit, it was just too hard for me. The language was so difficult to follow. So I gave up. I suggested it for book club and everyone liked the idea. Rita suggested that we get started with it by checking out the book on tape to get into it and then pick up the book to finish. Well I got the tapes and loved it. I never moved to the book.
So, today I had to tutor but started listening again on the way home between classes. Well, I don't have a tape player in my house and I was getting to the end of the book.....the good part. So, I sat in my car for 1 1/2 hours this morning with the windows down while I listened. Thoroughly enjoyed myself....although I must admit I fell asleep briefly a couple of times. I hope I didn't miss anything too important. Then after my 2nd class I pulled up in the driveway and again listened for another hour. I felt like I did as a kid when I would sit in the car waiting for mama outside church. The wind was blowing and it was a little warm. Perfect for listening to a great book. How grateful I am that I can take the time to sit and listen to a great book. I know I am very lucky.
So, I love the book. I especially, I think, like the reader. She had such a wonderful English accent. I have been catching myself thinking in that accent and using those words. I love the characters and how silly they seemed to be so concerned with social positions. I wonder if I am like that and don't recognize my own silliness. I am so happy to have read --or listened to-- my first Jane Austen. I checked out the movie, Sense and Sensibilities, and am excited to watch it.
OK, side note. I hate to admit this, but I can't remember how to punctuate books and movies. Isn't that terrible. It hasn't really been THAT long. But, if anyone would like to educate me, I would be appreciative.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Andrea, I love sense and sensibility! And one of my all time favorite books and movies is Pride and Prejudice (the Kirra Knightly version).

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness!! Have you seen the movie "The Jane Austen Book Club". It's so good, and they read all of Austen's books.

I have the 6 hour version of "Pride and Prejudice" which is so awesome!! I love it. But if I want a quick dose of it I watch the two hour one with Kirra Knightly.

I do think the characters get a little silly. But I love it. I love Emma too!! That one is great. There is a movie out about the life of Jane Austen and it's really good. I cried at the end. The poor woman never married and lived in small house with her mother. She was so intune with love and all the social aspects of living back then.

I love her books and PBS did a movie marathon on her a while back and did all her books! It was really good!! I love the English accents too!! But now that I have written a novel.......

I am jealous you have so much quiet time. I guess its all in due time, right?

Be A Saint said...

Oh, yes, in due time. I know I wouldn't have thought it possible a few years ago to be able to sit for 2.5 hours. I HAVE seen the Jane Austen Book Club and loved it. I also saw Becoming Jane which I also LOVED. Pride and Prejudice, also. I am looking forward to reading the rest. Elaine Newton told me this morning that Northanger Abbey was an easier read. I think I will read that next.

Wendy said...

I am glad to see you enjoyed it so much!! You earned every minuet.