Friday, April 18, 2008

Teacher Appreciation

What a great night! We had our annual teacher appreciation night at church last night. It was so wonderful. We actually had about 40 teachers and guests come. That is at least double from the previous years. Taylor conducted the evening. Let me just say..........that is a cute kid(Zack and I had an argument about who he looked most like the other day...I say me, Zack says him). He did such a great job. I was so proud of him. He took it very seriously and was just great. The primary kids sand "I Am a Child of God" and the youth sand "We Will Bring the World His Truth". Elaine Newton and Mavanie Bonnette sang a special number that was so perfect. I loved the music. Presidents Packard and Newton spoke beautifully about how teachers work with our families to teach our children life lessons that they will need as they go out into the world. The sweetest moment of the night was the opening prayer given by Kenya Williams--5 years old-- and the closing prayer by Von Turner. They were both sooooo sweet and the Spirit was so strong. They were so brave to get up by themselves. Von was very thorough and not rushed in his prayer. I was so proud of those two and so thankful for a church that teaches its youth early to pray and gives them opportunities at such young ages to get up in front of a group and express themselves spiritually. Sooo good. I as grateful Taylor had the chance to conduct the meeting. It was a great experience for him to sit up there and learn from his leaders. I am filled with grattitude this morning for all the people who worked to make this such a success and to our Heavenly Father for working with us to help His gospel be better understood. It was a good night.

Oh, yeah, one other blessing from last night is that Alex told me "thank you" and "sorry". To explain, I invited 3 of his teachers without his permission. He didn't even know that I had done it for a week or so. When he found out he was furious. We didn't even talk about it for another week or so. When we finally did he was so mad. He could barely talk to me for the few days leading up to it. But, I felt so strongly that this would be great thing for him. So.........2 of his teachers came! They were his most favorite teachers that he had for 3 of the 4 years of high school. I am so glad that I acted. He had a wonderful time. I think it meant so much to him that they would come just for him. These ladies have influenced Alex in so many ways over the years. Mrs. Fontenot encouraged him, always. We had a meeting at the school when he was a sophomore. One of his teachers was kind of down on him, but Mrs. Fontenot interrupted and told what a great kid he was and that he would do just fine. She understood him and could see through his silliness. Dr. Tarver came, too. She has been Alex's greatest challenge in school. She is very tough and has very high expectations. Sometimes he rose to the occassion and other times he sunk, but, he loves her. She taught him so much. I am so grateful to her for pushing him to do more than he wants to do. I am so sad I didn't have my camera. I would love to have pictures of these 2 ladies with and Alex who was so happy they were there.

Lily's teacher came, Mrs. Diane. Emma's teacher from last year, Mrs. McKeiver, also came. They are very special to us, also. They felt so special to have them there. Teachers are such a blessing in our lives.

2 comments:

Susan said...

OK, hands down, Taylor looks like you Andrea. Really!

And about the thank you from Alex, I told you so... :) Sounds like it was a fantastic event!

Zack said...

I have a picture of when I was 18 and Taylor looks exactly like me in that picture. I will fing it and Andrea can post it for all to decide!!!!!!!!!!!