Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Love Lily

Wow, today, Lily threw the biggest fit I might have ever experienced as a mother. We went to Emma's class to watch the class for her teacher. On the way home, she just wanted to go home, but I had some errands. We met Zack and then headed to Care Help to drop off some clothes and things to donate. I was trying to divert her attention from the fact that we were not going home, so I told her what we were doing. I told her we were bringing somethings that we didn't need anymore. So, of course, she asks if anything was hers. I tried not to answer that question. I was doing pretty good until we got there and she saw her old bed railing. You know the one you slide between the matress to stop them from falling off the bed. Well, I assumed that since it had been under her bed for about 2 years and then in the hall for another 2-3 months, that she didn't care about it anymore. I couldn't have been more wrong. Apparantly, she can't live without this item. And furthermore, she wants to save it for her own children along with all the clothing that she can't wear anymore. She proceeded to ....um....explain.. this to me as we made our way home. She was yelling, screaming, kicking, hitting the window, anything else she could do to get my attention. When we got home, I offered to help her out of the car, but she proceeded to continue the above, so I just came in the house. She then honked the horn on the car for a couple of minutes. Poor Bubba across the street. She finally came inside and yelled, "Don't you know I don't like to walk across the driveway with Pippin" at which point I put myself in timeout in my room. Amazing.

For those of you who are marveling at my self restraint or thinking that I am an overly permissive mother.......I had been reading Christlike Parenting this morning and was trying out some of their techniques. I have to say that I was questioning the sanity of this several times along the way.....but, when she finally gave in and let me hold her and ended up falling asleep on me on the chaise, I was very happy with MY actions. I didn't feel at all guilty and I knew that she knew that I loved her. I told her this several times during the fit to which she responded..."if you love me, then go back and get it!!!" Probably my favorite line during the whole thing.

Lily and Brett during happier times!!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Dr. Glenn Latham was truly inspired when he wrote his parenting books. I have the Power of Positive Parenting, which I suspect is very very similar to Christlike Parenting, and it's the best help I have ever found as a parent. My old Bishop put three or four copies of it in the ward library! Glad to hear it worked!! Those tantrums aren't fun, but gee, what a lively girl you have!!

Be A Saint said...

Sound like you have read this book. That is just what he would say about her!

Stacy James said...

Maybe I need to read this book. Alysa doesn't throw tantrums, but she knows how to "work it"! haha Way to go, mom!!