Saturday, May 3, 2008

18 years


Today my baby turned 18. He is a legal adult. He could go to war. He can vote. Where did the time go? People kept asking me if I was going to cry. I don't feel sad. I feel pretty excited for him. He is excited. He has so much in front of him. He is excited to go to school. Tonight he went shopping with some friends and came home and actually tried on his purchases. He did a good job. This is the first time he has gone shopping without me. I feel a little insignificant. But, suprisingly, that is a pretty good feeling. He is growing up and doesn't need me as much. He is definitely more independent. I like watching him like this. He likes being independent. He is going to apply for a new job on Monday. He needs to make some money this summer to be ready for college.

I can remember becoming a mama 18 years ago. It was so exciting. We loved Alex so much. We would sit around our living room and just watch him. He was such a mama's boy. I would hold him for hours. I went back to school in 3 months and would read my text books to him. He loved for me to read to him. He would sit for an hour by the time he was a year. We thought he was the most amazing baby. I can remember coming home from church and Zack, my sister Angela, and I talking about the other babies in the ward and how they just weren't as cute as Alex. We actually felt sorry for them. Angela said one time that at least Alex showed emotion--meaning he cried, ALOT. She said the other babies just sat there stone faced. Not happy or sad. But, OUR baby was expressive!!!

And, now that boy is 18 and I still like to sit and watch him. I am still so proud of him. He still likes to read. And, he is still VERY expressive. Most of his expressions now are happy now. He loves to laugh and have fun. He is one of the only people I know who can sit in a room by himself and laugh out loud at something he is watching on TV or reading in a book. A deep belly laugh. I will miss him so much....our family will not seem complete when he is not here. But, I know that he will always be a part of us and we will be a part of him. And I WILL be excited for that...........even if it kills me.

Happy Birthday, Alex!!!

7 comments:

MaryRuth said...

Such a sweet post! Made me teary...

You don't look old enough to have an 18 year old!

Happy Birthday to Alex!! So many great adventures in store in the next couple of years!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I agree with MaryRuth even though I don't know her. I do remember our children as little ones. It is crazy....how life flies by. Happy Birthday Alex.

Susan said...

There's no one like the oldest...that's the one you discover all about being a mama. And it takes your breath away when you realize how much you love him. ♥

Happy Birthday Alex!

Stacy James said...

Awwwwww.....isn't being a mama just the most wonderful thing? I can truly say there is nothing in life I enjoy more than watching your children grow and change, going through different seasons in their life. It's a beautiful thing.

Stacy James said...

Woops! I meant watching MY children..... no offense or anything! I like your children and all, but I enjoy watching MINE grow and change. LOL

Lindsay and Mike said...

Holy cow! It is not possible that you have an 18-year-old! Did you give birth to him when you were a fetus??? :) Alex is still 10-years-old in my mind...crazy!!!

Julie Church said...

We got Alex's Graduation announcement today. What an awesome kid he is, and we congratulate him for conquering High School.