Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

As exciting as it is today to finally have the opportunity to vote, I can't help but dread the arrival of this day. I don't know that we as Americans focus on the right things when we choose a candidate. I heard today on the news that we should remember "not what our country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I so agree with that statement, and I think in theory most Americans do too. But, when we think of who to vote for all I hear is "what are they going to do for me." That makes me crazy. The most important thing the president should do for me is keep me safe, set a good example, and watch over the general welfare of our country. Most of the rest is our responsibility. Some one asked me what John McCain would do for me with health care. I don't believe anything. Health care is a responsibility, not a right. Barrack Obama speaks often of his mother and grandparents who sacrificed so much to have him be able to go to a great college. That is very admirable. He says he wants others to have the opportunity that he did. They do have the opportunity to sacrifice!!! What he in essence wants to do though is take away the opportunity for others to grow from the experience of sacrificing like he and his grandparents did. That is what builds character. We as a people do not appreciate things when they are just given to us. This is evidenced to me by the TOPS program we have in Louisiana. This is a program where college tuition is paid for students who meet certain standards in high school. Well, lots of people get this program as freshmen and then live it up in college and promptly lose it. They are not having to sacrifice and therefore do not appreciate the opportunity that this gives them. Same with rich kids. Do not appreciate what they have. We should all build in ourselves the determination to achieve. That is what has made America great. We should ALL be conservative with tax money. Just because you CAN get something from the government, doesn't mean that we should. WE are the best answers to our problems.....not government. I hope that we have a great future in this country. I hope that we can remember the great character traits that made this country great. I hope that we can give (not in taxes, necessarily, but privately) to our country and do less taking. THAT is what will make us stronger. PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE!!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Amen. I am seriously praying today. My old Bishop had seven kids, earned very little income, but owned a (teensy) home and refused gov't help of welfare and medicaid and food stamps. They budgeted wisely (very carefully), paid a full tithe and raised their children awesomely. He was a wonderful example to me.

gwen said...

Very well put......

Ivy said...

Well said! I hate how Americans feel that everything is a 'right.' We were given the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and that is IT. Not health care, not a house, not an income.

Be A Saint said...

I thought of that when I finished writing. That is the summation of our rights. Life-protect my life. Liberty-protect my freedom to worship and live as I choose. Pursuit of Happiness-protect my ability to achieve and be able to gain what I can gain. Then I should choose how and when to help who and how I want to. I know I am preaching to the choir, though!

Bartonbunch5 said...

Love your comments! What a country we would be if more people believed this way.

Susan said...

We voted last week, and though it was discouraging to think it will go the other way, still - we got to vote - and that's awesome.

Gayla said...

I Agree!!!

AmyLyn said...

Nicely said. I agree