Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sarah Beth---My Mini Me

Sarah Beth got into my closet in Jena and tried on several of my old dresses from high school events. We loved watching her. I didn't realize I was that little then. Some of the are definitely ridiculous and the kids had a great time laughing at me. We were talking about how I didn't have a dress then that GranJan did not sew. I don't know how she did it. She would work all day, run us around in the afternoon, tutor till all hours, help us and our friends with school work, and still have time to sew really special dresses and everyday dresses. I learned to sew from her and I am very grateful that she took the time to show me how. I now realize how difficult that was....when I am sewing, I just want to be left alone. She had the patience to teach us and to show us by example that we could do it if we needed to. I am humbled at the sacrifices she made in her personal comforts and her time for us to participate in activities and have what we wanted. I didn't mean for this post to be about GranJan, but about Sarah Beth. It is very fitting that she tried them on, because she is just like me. I could just see myself in those dresses as she pranced around in them.

This one was actually my sister's dress. She wore it to her senior prom when I was a freshman and then I wore it in a pageant that same year.

This one was for a Valentine's Banquet. Perfect shade of pink...don't you think!?!Ugh!

This was my Senior Prom dress. We didn't really do very formal that year. Too bad, really.

This one was for another school pageant. The mermaid dress.....

Sarah Beth is a cutie-patootie!

8 comments:

Jen said...

I think i have to say the pink one is my favorite. My room was painted a color pretty similar to that once...why didn't anyone tell me it looked like pepto bismal?

Jessica said...

that's so cool that you kept all those dresses. i don't think i have any from homecoming/prom, but then i don't think cade/jack would care anyway. can i borrow the orange dress?

Gayla said...

That's a great tribute to your Mom. Sarah Beth has grown and changed a lot in two years.

Gayla said...

That's a great tribute to your Mom. Sarah Beth has grown and changed a lot in two years.

gwen said...

I had a dress that shade of pink, too! I think we called it "dusty pink" haha I laughed so hard at that orange mermaid dress! Maybe SB should wear it in her pageant!

Be A Saint said...

What a great idea!!! I will suggest it.

Susan said...

No, that's not pink - that's mauve in all it's glory. BTW, that orange gown is not bad.

AmyLyn said...

Huh-LARIOUS!! My younger sisters loved to do that with my older sisters dresses!